Lent is a season of fasting, moderation, and self-denial

"Yet even now, declares the Lord, 'return to me with all your heart' " Joel 2:12

Lent is a season traditionally observed by Catholics and some Protestant denominations which is period of fasting, moderation, and self-denial. It begins with Ash Wednesday and ends with Easter Sunday. On this period of the Christian Year, most Christians focus on simple living, prayer, and fasting in order to grow closer to God Almighty. The 40 days of Lent, which precedes Easter is based on two Biblical events:


1. The 40 years of wilderness wandering by the Israelites
2. 40 days of Lord Jesus Christ in the wilderness at which He was defeated Satan's temptations.



Lent starts with Ash Wednesday, a Cross of ash is marked on believer's forehead. Ashes are an ancient symbol of repentance (sackcloth and ashes). They also remind us of our mortality ("remember that you are dust") and thus of the day when we will stand before God and be judged.

In the Roman Catholic Church, Lent officially ends at sundown on Holy Thursday (Maundy Thursday), with the beginning of the mass of the Lord's Supper. Even though period of forty fast days and Sundays before Easter are known as Lent, technically, Sundays are not part of Lent. Although we celebrate them liturgically as part of Lent, the Lord's Day cannot be a day of fast and abstinence. Six weeks of Monday through Saturday gives you 36 days. If you add to them Ash Wednesday and the three days after it, you get the 40 days of Lent.




Lenten Prayer for Spiritual Renewal

God, heavenly Father,
look upon me and hear my prayer
during this holy Season of Lent.
By the good works You inspire,
help me to discipline my body
and to be renewed in spirit.

Without You I can do nothing.
By Your Spirit help me to know what is right
and to be eager in doing Your will.
Teach me to find new life through penance.
Keep me from sin, and help me live
by Your commandment of love.
God of love, bring me back to You.
Send Your Spirit to make me strong
in faith and active in good works.
May my acts of penance bring me Your forgiveness,
open my heart to Your love,
and prepare me for the coming feast
of the Resurrection of Jesus.

Lord, during this Lenten Season,
nourish me with Your Word of life
and make me one
with You in love and prayer.

Fill my heart with Your love
and keep me faithful to the Gospel of Christ.
Give me the grace to rise above my human weakness.
Give me new life by Your Sacraments, especially the Mass.

Father, our source of life,
I reach out with joy to grasp Your hand;
let me walk more readily in Your ways.
Guide me in Your gentle mercy,
for left to myself I cannot do Your Will.

Father of love, source of all blessings,
help me to pass from my old life of sin
to the new life of grace.
Prepare me for the glory of Your Kingdom.
I ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You
and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever.

Amen.



Lenten Quotes

“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.” – Matthew 6:16-18

Yet even now, declares the Lord, 'return to me with all your heart" Joel 2:12

“All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return.” – Ecclesiastes 3:20

“By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return” – Genesis 3:9

“Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.” – Corinthians 5:7-8

"Lent stimulates us to let the Word of God penetrate our life and in this way to know the fundamental truth: who we are, where we come from, where we must go, what path we must take in life..." -- Pope Benedict XVI

"Lent is like a long 'retreat' during which we can turn back into ourselves and listen to the voice of God, in order to defeat the temptations of the Evil One. It is a period of spiritual 'combat' which we must experience alongside Jesus, not with pride and presumption, but using the arms of faith: prayer, listening to the word of God and penance. In this way we will be able to celebrate Easter in truth, ready to renew the promises of our Baptism." -- Pope Benedict XVI


Meditate Last Seven Words of Our Lord Jesus Christ 


We hope this post was useful for you, please visit MERCY HEALS regularly for more interesting posts. You may also subscribe to our latest posts via email. Click for Email Subscription to receive updates in your email Inbox as soon as they are posted online.


Like & Share!



Daily Prayers





SAINT OF THE DAY
Select a month and day to view the saints of that day.
Month : Day :



Search this blog for more interesting posts.



Submit Your church's Holy Mass timings

Please submit following information

1. Name of Church
2. Location
3. Weekday and Sunday Mass timings
4. Telephone number
5. Website if any







POC Bible JY Catholic Answers Forum
Bible dictionary JY Rexband Logo


Retreat
Finder
Fiat Mission - His vision our mission Logos Quiz




 Share with Your Friends