I am the Bread of Life

In our lesson today, I want to consider a portion of the Luke 24 account of the two men who were walking to the village of Emmaus and encountered the Savior on that first Resurrection Sunday. This is another historical parable relating to the nature of salvation. Let’s pick up the reading in verses 29-31:

“But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them. And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them. And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.”

Our two points are:
Man’s Greatest Need
I Am the Bread of Life


Man’s Greatest Need

In Acts 16:13-15 we discover a similar situation in which Paul and Timothy were constrained to stay in the home of Lydia who was a new convert in the city of Philippi:
“And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither. And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended [or took heed] unto the things which were spoken of Paul. And when she was baptized [which means washed of her sins, or saved], and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.”The English words “abide” and “tarry” in the Authorized (or King James) Version are actually the same Greek word μεινατε meno (or Strong’s #3306) that appears 105 times in the New Testament, as in John 15:4-5, 7 and 9 where it is rendered as “abide”, “abideth”, and “continue”:
“Abide (μεινατε meno) in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide (μεινη meno) in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide (μεινητε meno) in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth (μενων meno) in me… If ye abide (μεινητε meno) in me, and my words abide (μεινη meno) in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you… As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue (μεινατε meno) ye in my love.”


I Am the Bread of Life

Luke 24:30 says:
"And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.”

We can readily see what transpired historically, but what does this verse signify spiritually? As these men sat or reclined, the Lord took bread, which is a picture of Himself according to John 6:35:
“And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.”
Next, He blessed the bread, which is a vivid reminder that blessing has to do with salvation, as Eph 1:37 teaches:
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;”He then proceeded to break the bread, which again points to the reality that He would be spiritually broken as He endured the crushing blows of eternal damnation inflicted upon Him by God the Father, as Psa 69:20 points out:
“Reproach [or shame] hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.”
John 6:51 also proclaims,

“I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
Finally, the Master gave them the bread, at which point their eyes were opened, and then He disappeared. The opening of one’s spiritual eyes relates to salvation as we learn from Acts 26:18 where the Apostle Paul recounted the events leading up to his conversion, and ministry calling:
"To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.”


We hope this post was useful for you, please visit MERCY HEALS regularly for more interesting posts. You may also subscribe to our latest posts via email. Click for Email Subscription to receive updates in your email Inbox as soon as they are posted online.


Like & Share!



Daily Prayers





SAINT OF THE DAY
Select a month and day to view the saints of that day.
Month : Day :



Search this blog for more interesting posts.

Comments

Archive

Show more



Submit Your church's Holy Mass timings

Please submit following information

1. Name of Church
2. Location
3. Weekday and Sunday Mass timings
4. Telephone number
5. Website if any







POC Bible JY Catholic Answers Forum
Bible dictionary JY Rexband Logo


Retreat
Finder
Fiat Mission - His vision our mission Logos Quiz




 Share with Your Friends