Skip to main content

Understanding Holy Euharist - Sharing

Dear family,
 
Last week we had a doctor appointment for my wife, and I had to leave early from office. After the appointment, since I had a few tasks to be completed, I returned to office. I walk to office daily as by Lord's grace, our house is close by. As I was waiting at the last signal for pedestrian passing, a young American man with a pleasant face approached. He introduced himself as Justin, and handed me a small copy of the gospel of John. We talked with each other and he identified me as an Indian. He asked me if I am a Christian and I affirmed it saying that I was a Catholic. He said that he also was raised Catholic, but now he is not. He said that he has been to Hyderabad and Tamil Nadu for proclaiming the gospel. It was a very warm conversation and I was greatly touched by his missionary zeal.
 
He said that he has friends from Kerala in a close by city who runs a church, and they would love to see us. I thanked him for the offer and said that it would be difficult to work out as we go daily for mass, and my wife is expecting our 3rd child, and finally we do not have a car yet. He was surprised to hear that we go daily for mass. Then he asked me if we have any prayer requests. I said I dont have anything right now other than the well being of my family. He also asked me prayers that he would get a spouse who has the same calling for evangelization. He offered a quick prayer for me, and I also prayed a quick prayer for him. I felt a genuine brotherhood among us which comes from the Lord.
 
Before departing, I asked him the reason why he left the Catholic Church if he didnt mind, and he told me that he came to a better understanding of God's truth based on reading of the scriptures. Then I asked him if he knows John 6:53. He apparently was not very aware of what that verse was. We opened our mobile bibles and I read out the verse to him which says " Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.." . I then explained to him how Jesus speaks about our spiritual/eternal life when ever he talks about life. So this verse underscores the necessity of really consuming the flesh and blood of Christ. I also explained to him that if Jesus hadnt meant it literally, that is , if he was using some symbols here, there was no reason for many of his followers to desert him saying that this is a hard teaching (John 6:60) and Jesus, being the good teacher would have been obligated to clarify it to them so that their souls wont be lost. Instead he asks the remaining if they want to go as well(John 6:61). This just shows that this is an uncompromised teaching of Jesus.
 
I then asked him if he has heard about the miracle of Lanciano. He said he hasn't. For those who do not know, this is a very significant Eucharistic miracle. Around AD 700, a Basilian priest who couldnt bring himself to believe in the Real Presence, prayed to the Lord to convince him of this truth, and as he said the words of consecration, the host turned into flesh, and the wine turned into actual blood, and it is preserved to this day. The Eucharistic species have undergone numerous scientific tests with results attesting to the reality of human flesh and blood. The natural preservation of this flesh and blood is unexplainable by science. I straightaway googled "Miracle of Lanciano" on my mobile and showed him the picture of the consecrated host-turned-flesh. I then told him that true miracles come only from God. Satan can mimic, but they wont last, and definitely will not last this long. I also told him how I admire his missionary zeal and hope from the bottom of my heart that the Lord will reveal to him the truth about the Catholic faith of his childhood which will bring him the fullness of life and a manifold anointing on his ministry.
 
We again offered to pray for each other and we continued in our ways. Since it was very late, I returned home without going to office. When I checked my mail from home, I realized that the tasks for which I set out to office, was cancelled for some reasons. Had I checked my mail before starting, I wouldnt have gone to office. This confirmed to me that the Lord wanted that encounter to happen, to remind me on the need to always be a missionary, and perhaps to show him a little more about the Catholic faith.
 
Though I do not have a whole lot of direct experience with protestant/pentecostal believers, I hope to write a few insights in a following mail another day.
 
May our Blessed Mother keep each of us.
 
Love,

Sunsun


We hope this post was useful for you, please visit MERCY HEALS regularly for more interesting posts. You may also subscribe to our latest posts via email. Click for Email Subscription to receive updates in your email Inbox as soon as they are posted online.


Like & Share!



Daily Prayers





SAINT OF THE DAY
Select a month and day to view the saints of that day.
Month : Day :



Search this blog for more interesting posts.

Comments

Archive

Show more



Submit Your church's Holy Mass timings

Please submit following information

1. Name of Church
2. Location
3. Weekday and Sunday Mass timings
4. Telephone number
5. Website if any







POC Bible JY Catholic Answers Forum
Bible dictionary JY Rexband Logo


Retreat
Finder
Fiat Mission - His vision our mission Logos Quiz




 Share with Your Friends